...or tries to...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mini Me, in a way






Dollhouse art studios seldom come to be the same way real sized ones do-Mini Me had a work table long before I did, and she does have much more space, proportionally. When she wanted an easel she didn't have to save up and order it from the Dick Blick catalog, she just asked and I made one and the glue was dry by the next afternoon. Any postcard or picture for the wall, any art book, magazine, drawing pad - boom, it's hers. No Amazon, trip to Pearl Paint, museum gift shop. She asks, she gets. But she pays a price, in illusion. Have you ever read a story or seen a tv episode where someone is shrunk or transported into an imitation of life? At the end of the novel 2001 the astronaut has books in the faux hotel room provided for him, but since they were imitations the pages inside were all unreadable blurred lines. In a Twilight Zone a married couple turned into toys for a giant alien child wake up in a house and can't use anything in it-the kitchen drawers were just fronts and the phone receiver was glued to the wall. Mini-me can't draw with her pencils or open her drawing pads or books, I imagine the postcards are too pixelated to really be appreciated. I love that trickery-like I love stage sets and museum dioramas. And it makes the real world, despite all its limitations and denials, seem limitless and amazing.


10 comments:

Pubdoll said...

I'm so glad you have started blogging Amy! You know I love your art and miniatures and you are just as brilliant with words and stories that you are with your art and miniature work. I have had much of the same thoughts about living in mini-worlds myself, just not as well put as yours :-)

Amy said...

Thank you so much Helene! You know how much I love your miniature work-every room in your houses tell such wonderfully original stories, I truly love to think of your inhabitants as real people with real and detailed lives! (Anyone stopping by who hasn't read Helene's blog, you must click her icon and take a look).

What I've been enjoying so far about blogging is how it forces you to bring all those random thoughts together, better than a journal, in a way, because you have to be clearer. What a perfect way to collect yourself in one place, right?

Peach Blossom Hill said...

Poor Mini Me! Trapped in a beautiful studio but unable to function there! It is absolutely perfect, though--at least she will enjoy the view!

Jody

Ticking stripes said...

Amy - discovered you last week on flickr and now your lovely new blog - I'll be back - anyone who has Kay loves vintage , Su Blackwell and Charleston as "loves" in their sidebar has to be worth following!

Amy said...

Jody-She does have a perfect window view of my refrigerator! I wonder if I could fashion a pencil for her out of one of my mechanical pencil leads? Poor girl should have at least one option...

Hi Ticking Stripes! Thank you so much for stopping by, and becoming a Flickr friend too-I love the things you collect and photograph-you have such a wonderful eye! Kay was one of my first Flickr contacts-don't you just love her, her home, her blog? And Su Blackwell, well, one word, with a jealous sigh, amazing.

Evelien said...

Hi Amy,

nice to see you have a blog too! I always looked at your Flickr, but since I was no member it was hard to comment. But I'm a blogger too and really love your work, especially your miniatures! I'd love to live in your house and have a studio like that! Your 1:1 cat ;) is very cute.

groetjes Evelien

Amy said...

Hi Evelien! First of all, my cat Solomon thanks you, and so do I! And thank you for coming by and commenting-now I get to see your miniature work too-are you actually building a dollhouse of your house? How amazing-what a perfect idea! It's looking wonderful so far. And I do love your bathroom wall!

Norma said...

There is something very intriguing about well done mini art studios, and you've pulled it off :)

Sans said...

My goodness, Amy!!!! You have started a blog. A long, long time ago, I found you on yahoo with that gorgeous dollhouse you did, think you found it abandoned somewhere :). The link to that house is on my left bar as one of my awe-inspiring choice of houses. Not sure if you remember :). So great now that you are on Blogger and I can follow your beautiful work! Hooray! :)

Amy said...

Thank you Norma! They always wind up more personal, don't they?

Sans! I sure do know that you posted a link on your wonderful blog-I've always been so honored to be there! You have such amazing worlds there, and I was so happy to be included, you have no idea!