...or tries to...

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Things I love








I would love, every so often, to talk a bit about things around here that I love. I finally managed to work out some table space in my studio where everything I needed could be within reach, and you can't imagine how fantastic that is after working on the floor for five straight years. The card catalog in my home town library looked a lot like an enormous version of the one I have. I remember getting my first card for the adult section and being frightened of it. I was short, it was huge, it was filled with all the knowledge in the world. Plus, what would keep those drawers, if tugged at too hard, from crushing my head with all that knowledge, cards fluttering down around my body like snow? Still, I loved its depth, that authoritative Dewey order of it all, those smudged typed cards with the furry edges. When I found this one at a warehouse sale, I ran to it, in what seemed like slow-motion, and beat out another woman who had seen it too. I keep thread in my little cabinet, and embroidery floss, and three kinds of pins.

7 comments:

Wish on a Whisker said...

Congratulations on your lovely new blog! (And getting your things up off the floor) *smile* ~Mandy

Amy said...

Hi Mandy! Thank you so very much! I'm so happy you found me here-your blog is gorgeous! (I always loved the name-I find my cat whiskers everywhere too)...

Amy

Chris said...

Lovely one

Peach Blossom Hill said...

And it looks like you keep your glands there, too! Haha! I love these. So much better than those stupid plastic storage boxes I have! No flare for me in my cluttered basement!

Jody

Amy said...

Jody, believe me, I have plenty of those ugly plastic storage boxes! Dollar store variety, with lids that keep popping of.

Sans said...

O, do I know the joy of organisation and knowing exactly where what is or for the matter, exactly what I own,even if it is for just a few days /weeks. I have finally converted my guest room into a "craft" room and in the end , to keep it organised, I almost never work in there..lol! It's still the stairs to my backyard, on the floor, kitchen/dining table, even on my bed :) but never the table in my craft room.

I love that box. If we were in the same room where they sold this box, I would have beat you to it! :)

Amy said...

Sans, I know-after I finally cleared the studio out and made it workable, I was afraid to mess it up! Even when I started working officially I kept putting things away at the end of the day, which is against the point of a studio, right? But I'm starting to get over that!

I work a lot on my coffee table, and patio, anywhere that feels right at the time. Sometimes the official place is too official, puts some weird pressure to make something "worthy". That kind of pressure just crushes the imagination, don't you think?