...or tries to...

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The real life studio








When I say that the mini-me doll house artist has more space than I do, it's absolutely true. I never dreamed of a big house, I don't even like the open concept idea-give me a giant brick walled loft and I swear I'll be sleeping in the cardboard refrigerator box. I like warrens of rooms, each one different than the other, little courtyards, secret doors. But the studio-that's where the dreams went big. Walls of windows, bookshelves up to the ceilings, ladders on tracks, sections for painting, for sewing, for reading, for display.

So I have the second bedroom in my little condo. It's the kind of space where anything carried in that's taller than five feet does that Three Stooges Laurel and Hardy ladder routine, knocking things off shelves, cracking windows, scraping the popcorn off the ceiling. It has to hold everything-books and files, boxes of beads and paper, cds, brushes, glue, thread, yarn, pictures and postcards. Every wall has something on it or against it. There are days when it looks like that secret closet detectives always find in police dramas, the space the crazy stalker fills with hundreds of pictures and stolen objects from their victims.

But I love it-I'm also grateful I have it. It's part of my home and I can go in there any time I need to, it's my work office and it holds most of my history. But I also wonder, what kind of art would I make in that giant imaginary studio? I work small, and loved small long before this room, but all my studio spaces have been tiny, from art school onward. How much has this determined the kind of art I make? Has my lack of elbow room made my work more particular to me than if I had a studio I could roller blade across? Who would I be if I had stretched out in a warehouse?

Have you ever thought about how your work is effected by the space around you?

4 comments:

Sans said...

I am no artist, so whatever space I have, there will still be very little art. I have seen amazing art by people who work on a tiny kitchen table and huge uninspiring art studios :)

As far as crafting goes, the less space I have, the less I will have to clean up :).lol

Amy, no matter where you work, you rock!

Amy said...

Thank you so much Sans!!! I've seen those big studios filled with big blah work too. I've always been told to work larger, and I understand why, professors wanted me to break out of a mold. But there are plenty of people out there going big. I love the object you can hold, or have to lean in when you look at it-the rest of the world fades away for a few minutes...

Peach Blossom Hill said...

I love it! So filled with wonders! And, yes, Amy, that was a globe in my little witch's cottage--actually an old fashioned little pencil sharpener I found at a local little general store/antiques shop in a nearby town! I know you like globes!

Jody

Amy said...

Thanks Jody! I do love them! I tried to make a globe for the mini studio-it looks reasonably globey. At least, globey enough...