...or tries to...

Friday, May 27, 2011

Wall Eyed



I've gotten a little inspiration wall shy. This traces back to the day I pinned a postcard way too enthusiastically and the pin board came loose and fell down the back of a very wide and heavy bookshelf, pushpins and papers and photos and feathers and ticket stubs rattling and rustling down the back of the monster bookshelf in a dramatic inspiration landslide. I just kind of stood there, on my footstool, with the little pointy pushpin still in my hand. It seemed like a message, I don't know. But I think I've gotten over it.




Boards and walls are like the inside of our heads, they're not sequential, or linear, they don't really stick to a theme, beyond the theme of ourselves, and our families, and the places we go. It all gets stuck up there, together, old and new things, new things that get older each day they're up there. Something we saw once and loved, and get to see everyday now. Things that wind up, in some way, in your art or your writing. Stuff you can't throw away, even if you don't know why yet, or ever will.








In my dollhouses, even better. Because in miniature, I can gather up every postcard I can think of, every artist I can remember, and not have to find it for real. An imaginary pin board, made real, if small.






Two excellent walls you have to see:




5 comments:

Pubdoll said...

Wonderful mini wall, you inspired me! I never have made inspirational walls myself, but collected my inspirations in a binder.

lisa s said...

omg. i love everything tiny.
a tiny inspiration board is almost too much to handle ! :D

Amy said...

I have a folder of images too, H., but it's so filled up that the folder itself looks more like a giant taco shell, with the papers shooting out and flying across the room when I open it. A binder is a very very good idea. And it binds!

Thanks, Lisa! I particularly love your tiny trees--

Sans! said...

I had to laugh at your chaplinesque push-pin shy moment but am glad you are well and truly over it because your walls are awesome!

And imagine my pleasure when I saw that you have extended your inspiration walls to those of your dollhouse!

You and your friends (2 links) made me feel like spending a ton of money I don't have on studio rentals so that I too can have my own inspiration walls .

Amy said...

Thank you so much, Sans! You always make my day. I have a friend with a studio with a wall completely covered in cork, sigh. Sigh too to the idea of a studio built to be a studio, not just a spare room or tiny second bedroom. But I'm greatfull enough for just that, most days. Someday, though...