...or tries to...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Collections: Bugged





 Sometimes things happen in the studio that aren't particularly planned - I'm not really a collector of fake bugs, but they seem to have collected themselves. The way the real ones often do, to my dismay.






But they keep showing up, (the fake ones) in my work, on my things, as my jewelry. I've been an emotional entomologist, in that I'm weak on the science, and throw a lot of emotion at them instead. I've had some amazing insect experiences, most during a summer in Maine, and terrible ones, involving palmetto bugs dropping on my head from ceiling fans and popping up out of drains. (and shoes, and pockets, and cups). So it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I'll find an ant colony raising their young on the back porch, millions of them, and freak, but admire their strength and tenacity and ingenuity at the same time. Well, no, not at the same time they're crawling up my arms. Later. Much later.










3 comments:

Sans! said...

I don't think I am capable of loving any insects except those you made, Amy. Are those in the pics all made by you? They are gorgeous!

Amy said...

Thank you Sans! All but the two dragonflies-the one near the bottom is a wonky little craft store bug, and the brooch was a gift from my friend Joyce-it's signed S. Klink on the wing but I can't find the artist anywhere online...And the big paper butterfly, which is a greeting card. The ones I made are meant to be part of one of my pieces but were orphaned or are still waiting their turn...

Connie said...

It's hard to believe those are all "fake!" The ones you've made look so real - especially the cicada - which looks just like one I photographed and have tried to draw. How do you do that?