...or tries to...

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Giant Garage Sale: Table Edition



Every summer, when the sun turns into an enormous blinding interrogation lamp and I start to wonder why I'm living here, there's the Giant Garage Sale at the South Florida Fairgrounds.  I am reborn. Unlike the pricey monthly antique fair, anyone can buy a table and put out their stuff. If you have old bicycle tires or a quilted bed jacket from 1974, or really want old bicycle tires or a quilted bed jacket from 1974, you're in heaven, sister. (You adjust very quickly to things being offered for 1 to 2 dollars. Last year I found a papier mache figurine of a cat wearing a suit, but it was 6 bucks. Outrageous! It's the only place on the planet where 6 dollars seemed irrational. I'm still sorry about that cat. I'm still looking for it).

There's been a wonderful kind of an ick factor some years, which makes the goodies you do find all the more delicious. This year this was far less ick and much less "what do you think that is", instead there were more professionals bringing out their cheaper wares. I actually wanted less things than I usually do, but there were so many photo-ops I was still in my own version of heaven. And I found a hot dog and hamburger salt-and-pepper set, so what more could I ask?

I'm dividing my posts into "Table" and "Floor" because there was so much to share.











I was given the little rubber piggie for free...








And away we drift under the electric moon....more from the floor tomorrow....

6 comments:

Eartha Kitsch said...

This looks like a blast! - and I love that it's indoors where it's cool.

TheEccentricLady said...

So, did you buy anything?
If you have not checked in, you won Caleb's Crossing!

Amy said...

I did? Hey, I did! Fantastic! I'll email you right away!

I bought the silliest things-the hamburger and hot dog salt and pepper shakers, a ceramic hand, a stickpin of a high button shoe with a rose sticking out of it, a pencil sharpener in the shape of a little boy, a rubber doll of a pig wearing a cap, and a handbag decorated with rainbow yarn. Jackpot!

Amy said...

Eartha, it is! But it's also sub-zero in there. It's like the meat-boxing scene in Rocky cold. We fall out of there and lie on the sidewalk by the entrance gate and wait to thaw. Then, after fifteen minutes, we're bitching about the heat again.

Sans! said...

Hey, is that a mini chest of drawers in the 1st pic? I will buy it if it is a few cents! and vintage buttons...oooooh, can spend hours browsing through those.

Just love flea markets, even virtual ones like this :).

Amy said...

It is a chest of drawers, Sans! And there was a whole set of vintage mini blonde wood lawn furniture-I took a picture, but it was blurred. You would have loved this sale.

I'll be coming by your blog later, after my Monday job deadline is over-thank you as always for coming by here-I love when you do...