...or tries to...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Supplies




I get my brushes and ink and canvas and paint at a small art store, but I'm not there nearly as much as at the gigantic craft superstores. Where I'm just another cog in the wheel with a plastic shopping basket, bleached blue under fluorescent lights, wandering past the faces of a thousand silk flowers. It ain't pretty, it ain't meant to be. There are lint balls everywhere, rolling down the aisles like tiny tumbleweed. Men trapped there with their wives or girlfriends have the same expression the newly incarcerated must have their first morning in prison. It's wonderful, though, isn't it? It's candy in a hundred different colors, all those tiny beads, all that thread and yarn, miles of ribbon, pipe cleaners, pom poms, glitter, paper, feathers. All waiting, artlessly arranged, waiting to be art, maybe, gifts, set to be knitted, stitched, glued, draped around necks, hanging from earlobes, kept in dresser drawers in velvet boxes, thrown onto a table at a garage sale, ready to be anything?





  














I love the beginnings of things.


6 comments:

TheEccentricLady said...

Great, now I will feel sorry for these supplies and have to (rescue) take them home so they won't hang there feeling rejected!
Have fun wuth some new starts this week!

Amy said...

I know! I hate leaving good ribbon behind. And yarn. And fake fur. And pinking shears. And...

I actually am getting ready to start a big piece-there should be many pompoms involved. It's always exciting, isn't it?!

Daydreamer said...

I go there too.... temptation is endless.... I notice the stunned looks on the faces of many of the men too..... beads, silk, feathers, pompoms, guys used to wear that stuff too! What happened? Even lots of girls are afraid to be decorated and decorative...
I have just found your blog, Amy and I want to say I like your stuff! Collections, Art, Ideas, perspective... I'm enjoying seeing closer (a thing I like to do!) with you in your neighborhood!

Amy said...

I was over at your lovely blogs today-I think we have a lot in common, for sure! And we dollhouse people have to stick together.

Men used to take a cue from peacocks, right? Lots of frou frou-I believe Casanova wore a heck of a lot of ruffles. And I like Home Depot too, at least the paint department, so I'm very well behaved while the men folk go off and look at the power saws!

Sandy said...

You know, Amy, I'm always amazed when I think about how wonderful music can just flow from the tips of fingers, Eric Clapton's for instance. ;-)

And I have the same awe and wonder at how your beautiful art just flows from the tips of YOUR fingers, too. A musician starts with a silent instrument and creates beautiful sound, and you begin with all manner of bits and pieces and create amazing art!

Amy said...

Sandy, what a beautiful thing to say. I'm practically speechless, rare for me! All I can write is, thank you, my friend.