...or tries to...

Monday, July 25, 2011

Joyce's Garden (part 2)


Closer up in Joyce's mountain-side garden. Still-lives from a place not at all still, from the hum and fizz and whir of the smaller things. Even the colors seem to make their own sounds.









One gift that Joyce's garden has given me was this: that one early evening, a few years ago, I went outside to walk. It was the perfect few minutes between day and night, when the mountain top still held the last glow of setting sunlight, but the rest of the woods were darkening: not so dark you couldn't see, but drained of detail, a deep blue-green. And the evening primrose that lined her walk,


(here seen in daylight)

were glowing like lanterns, a color I'll call lavender because I haven't been able to come up with any better name. For those few minutes they nodded and waved a little, lit from within. The gift was this, of course, but it was also a gift of memory-I have those few minutes to define dusk for me, possibly forever.



2 comments:

Daydreamer said...

AAAHHH Beautiful! SO worth the wait! Those butterfly pics are fantastic.... Butterflies are so jumpy it is hard to get close enough to capture the details. And I LOVE the snail.... even though most gardeners hate them because they leave such a mess....
I LOVE zinnias for their brazen colors.....
And I agree with you that Dusk is such an AMAZING time of day... so undefinable but so poignantly beautiful.... the farewell of lingering light in the advancing gloom.... and the way white and lavender flowers shine in it is legendary. That is why a white garden is so amazing to behold... it practically glows in the dark! Thank you .... and Joyce! for sharing her garden.... it has been a real treat!

Sans! said...

I have always thought when you have butterflies grace your garden, you have magic in your backyard. Do you love dollhouses like we do, Joyce? And believe in fairies? ;)

You know that "lavender" flowers , Amy, could they have been dusky pink?