...or tries to...

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Storm Coming in


We've been dragging through the worst drought in Florida's recorded history. Grass burned brown, flower beds gone thin and bowed, ponds looking like drained bathtubs, revealing their hidden depths-old bicycles, crushed cans turned green. Even the algae that furred submerged things went powdery and frail.
But the afternoon rain storms have come, at last. They mumble and mutter way off at the horizon for a while, making a pretense of coming, or not coming through. And then they're here, crawling in, hanging overhead for a while, heavy and grim.




For a short time the sun still makes an effort, spotlighting the roof tops, giving every ordinary thing a theatricality that makes you stop and admire them.



video

And the cabbage palms, like stage actors anyway, begin that arm-waving, frantic dance they do when the wind slides in.  Pieces of things tear off whatever they were attached to and fly around in circles. It's almost fun. Then lightning rips everything open, and I remember terrible lightning-strike stories, fishermen glued to the ground by their melted rubber boots, trees landing on picnickers as if they were specifically chosen, my neighbor's car halved by an ornamental palm. The rain pours down from what seems like a gash in the sky and the dance is over.


And I hide, inside.


Where the rain makes the window frames into abstractions, and everything gets small again.


4 comments:

My Realitty said...

Beautifukky dramatic. C

Daydreamer said...

Wow, Amy, I Love the skyscapes! I love the way the sun slants in low under heavy skies.... you've got some beautiful pictures! I confess I am always a bit agitated by thunderstorms.... not quite cowering.... but definitely on alert! I'm glad you are getting rain now. Thank heavens for water!

Sans! said...

You really make reading fun, Amy. For a moment there, I really felt the wind and saw the cabbage palms (is that what they are called? They are one of the prettiest crazy looking palm trees I have ever seen :) ) dancing. It was like I was standing at your window.

I sprained my back last weekend , the same one you made this post. So I was lying on my back in bed feeling real sorry and pathetic when it started to rain. Not as dramatic or half as exciting as yours but just as pleasurable to watch. I LOVE rainy afternoons.

Amy said...

Rosanna-Exactly! Thank heavens for water! I'm like you, I love that kind of weather until it tips over into dangerous, and since Florida is the lightening strike capitol of the US, it's no joke. And I've been through five hurricanes, so I've gotten some strong lessons about nature and what it can do with us...

Sans, yep, cabbage palms! Not the nicest name, they're also called Sabal palms, and I think they're the State Tree. I'm pretty sure that the cabbage comes from an edible part of them, or something like that. The kind of look like teenagers with 80's punk hair cuts to me.

Is your back ok? That must hurt so much. I would much rather you get to watch a rainy afternoon without an injury to deal with! Let me know how you're doing...