...or tries to...

Thursday, July 21, 2011

TV!



I can't pretend that I'm not a bit of a dork. Okay, more than a bit. I grew up with tv. I am, literally, a first generation Sesame Streeter, so I can't remember a time in my life when there wasn't a set on somewhere. (Not in my house, particularly, there was a no-tv-before- six-pm rule. But I remember so many Brady Bunch and I Dream of Jeannie re-runs that the rule must have been broken, and often). Anyone born after I graduated high school should be unable to imagine a world where tv was the only visual window to the daily world, and was a place set up for people hired specifically to recite or act out written scripts. Regular folk pretty much showed up only on talk shows and game shows and the evening news, and did what they were told.  I've adjusted, of course. I'm not quite old enough to be buried in the basement of my youth, not yet. But I'm probably more excited to find any aspect of my little world on tv than a kid with a YouTube account. Hence, my dorkiness. And my doing a little tv dance when I saw two of my 20 piece "Collection" sampled on WKYT's news report on the show "More is More", at the Lexington Art League's Loudon House. No matter how small the moment, the tv legitimizer brings out my inner exhibitionist. Well, brings it out a little more than usual.


Anyway, More is More opens tomorrow, a show I'm very excited about. For curator Melissa Vandenberg, the exhibit "examines a common tendency towards multiples and repetition in contemporary art. Whether it's an influence from industry, technology, materialism or consumerism, these serial acts have profound implications about the society that created them". My pieces use repetition to explain and expand on my personal obsessions, so to see them in context with other artist's use of multiplicity is going to be really interesting.

3 comments:

Daydreamer said...

WOW! Bravo! Congratulations! Recognition and Exposure are so good for the Artist's soul! And TV ..... that great democratizing common denominator of our modern era is a high achievement indeed! YOUR images were chosen to illustrate the journalist's point.... !!!! Your work is worth it... I sure hope I can someday have a real close and personal eye-full!

Sans! said...

Woooooooohoooooooo! WOW! TVVVVVV!

Congratulations! I saw that they showed yours last so the audience will go away with the image of your work being the last thing they remember of the show :).

Amy, although we grew up in different parts of the world, I swear I could have been the girl next door who pop by to watch TV with you in the evenings after homework. Sesame Street! (One of these things is not like the other.. ) and the reruns..The Brady Bunch , Petticoat Junction, I love Lucy :) !

Amy said...

B.-thank you for saying that-I was kind of embarrassed to be so excited about tv-(though obviously not too embarrassed to post about it!)-but I have to admit it is a sort of out of body experience. And if a camera is ever pointed at me personally I suddenly forget all my language skills and sometimes the whole idea of standing upright. I like it much better when the work is on screen instead!

Sans, I think you're right. After homework, absolutely, I Love Lucy, maybe some Partridge Family, the Brady's, talking about why everyone liked Marsha so much when I was completely in Jan's corner. (How could anyone be unhappy with hair like hers?)