...or tries to...

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Collections: Gently Worn


When I was  eleven, I went with my parents to an antique fair. It was one of many I had followed them to, dozens of weekends wandering among old things. This time, I found a pair of black high button shoes, exactly my size. I couldn't afford the pair, my allowance didn't stretch that far. But the vendor must have seen a reflection of herself, and allowed me to buy just one. I was, almost literally, button-hooked.

Hats followed:


A Christening gown my parents brought home to me from London:


Blouses and underclothes, a cream colored dress:









All that detail, pieces hand-sewn, made by and made for and worn by people I will never know. 


3 comments:

Daydreamer said...

I used to have a collection of Antique clothes...... a very SMALL collection.... and I even used to wear some of the velvet bodices way back in my teen years...... But I have never sought them out.... I think I knew that I would be insatiable and could not afford it! I took my love of old clothing to the making of old fashioned costume dolls.... they are all wrapped away in a box... but it allowed me to collect the cloth scraps and cast off pieces to make the mini versions. I just never had time to make ALL the ones I hoped to... ANOTHER unfinished project....
It looks as though your collection is very refined.... only the whole items.... in good condition... and BEAUTIFUL!

Amy said...

Just the idea of being able to sew costumes makes my head spin! What a wonderful skill, (art). I don't have any of the kind of patience it must take. I remember an old issue of World of Interiors magazine where they featured a nineteenth century sample book, all plump and held together with a blue silk ribbon, all the needlework and piecework done by a young girl in her early teens. Tiny versions of adult clothing, underthings, skirts, bodices, smocking, tiny ruffles, hand knit stockings. This poor girl was an artist, all in training for her domestic adulthood. She probably had no choice, but she mastered the needle. I could barely sew a skirt in home ec...

TheEccentricLady said...

Amy, I feel the same way about the beautiful crochet pieces I have picked up at auctions and sales as well as the embroidery on the dresser scarves and pillow cases. It just makes me feel like I want to know these ladies. You have a nice collection!