...or tries to...

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Curios


They're things with no practical use. And they're usually small, easily trampled, creased, crushed or blown away. Things you come across, things you find when you're doing something else, that fit into your pocket. Objects with an entirely different plan, most of them never marketed to you, never designed to grab your attention. If and when you get them home you have to put them someplace that keeps them from the dog, the cat, the kids, the heavy handed, the vacuum cleaner.  Some place that sets them apart. From yourself as well. From your hand, though not your gaze.


Bones. A squirrel skull. Feathers, wings, a fragment of a hornet's nest. Bowls and vases and cups too small to use. Tintypes of people you'll never know anything about.





Doll eyes. Feet. Hands. Heads. Shells meant for the tiniest of sea creatures. Shed cat whiskers. Dragonflies that could snap like matchsticks. Bees curled up as if asleep.







Bits of quartz and pods and milagros and burrs and sea glass and the toy volkswagen your Dad kept on his own shelf. Things that you could live without. Things that would be the easiest to throw away. But somehow, always, the hardest to.


5 comments:

rosanna said...

I understand what you mean....

Amy said...

I thought you might, Rosanna!

Daydreamer said...

Amy, I LOVE your collections! I do the same..... I tried to limit myself to ONE OFFICIAL CURIO CABINET! But it didn't work..... every window sill or dresser top is it's own topography of accumulated bits of LIFE. But yours are neater than mine... I never dust.... the butterfly wings would blow away! When I was traveling in Europe many years ago I saved the butterfly wings and seashells in little match boxes and brought them home to paint in the borders of my Medieval Inspired paintings. I STILL have them......
And when I moved I collected ALL the window ledge displays into ONE LARGE layered glass jar.... stones, shells, rings, pieces of china, tiny figurines, crystals, feathers..... I could not bring myself to leave them behind or let them go... all those walks on the beach... still whispering from that jar....!
You have made your arrangements into ART. JUST Beautiful!

Sans! said...

Amy, I am going away with even more unnecessary wants now. And worse, I want to put all of them under bell jars of different sizes. You are a dangerous influence ;).

Amy said...

Butterfly wings in matchboxes! That kills me! I'm so glad you still have them. There's little better than going through tiny boxes and drawers and cabinets and finding things in there that would never survive out in the elements. I used to go through my Grandpa's tool cabinets looking for goodies, and my Dad's-he would search the basement for little drill bits and polishing tools and later find them in one of my dollhouses, poor man.

Do you have a picture of the layered glass jar? That sounds like a wonderful idea, it must be striking. I would love to see it.

I'm sorry Sans! Those bell jars are addictive, it's true. I'm working on a piece that will have sewn objects in a grouping of five or six jars and domes-I hope it doesn't wind up looking too Victorian. But it'll get that whole dome thing out of my system, maybe.