...or tries to...

Monday, August 8, 2011

My Neighbor's Orchids


I have no talent for orchids. But some of my neighbors do. 


Early mornings, I ride past them on my bike. I hardly see anyone around here in the summer, so I don't really know who lives where. But I know their orchids.




I love their mix of Walt Disney and Willy Wonka and David Lynch, too bright, too cheerful, too much. They work with our white-hot sunlight and the kind of humidity that makes it feel like you could reach out and grab a handful of air. They always look to me like they're sticking their tongues out, laughing behind our backs. They stand up to us, growing the way they chose to, insinuating themselves into the trees, busting out of their little slatted boxes.














Love me, don't love me, they seem to say. I bloom when I'm ready. 

3 comments:

rosanna said...

Truly gorgeous! I have a black thumb but I'm trying to grow a few orchids in the bathroom.... having seen these I shall give up :o(
They are really toomuch of everything but they are such a beauty. Thanks for sharing, Rosanna

Daydreamer said...

Beautiful orchids! I have several that I truly mistreat.... they have not been re-potted in years.... they are really climbing OUT of their pots! They bloom for me every winter and are SUCH a lovely reminder of warmer climes..... One of these years I really MUST re-pot them! I love that the colors are so varied.... but it always tempts me to get more......

Amy said...

Rosanna, I'm much the same way, though around my house we call it having a gangrene thumb. I/m so unsure about orchids, it's as if you spend too much time with them, and they rebel, or you don't spend enough, and you end up with an empty pot. They're like people, it seems! Though a bathroom would be a good place, I think-the most incredible orchids collections I've seen were in greenhouses, and that's as close as we usually get to having one...

Betsy, I admire your taking them on, I'm just an orchid freeloader, it seems! I was riding around yesterday morning sneaking around in my neighbor's front yards with my camera-you true gardeners do all the work. I think you would Love it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Orchid_Society