...or tries to...

Monday, November 28, 2011

Petri Dish


If art-making is a transformation of the invisible into the visible, then the petri dish is the perfect metaphor. Target Gallery in Alexandria, Virginia has assembled a small works exhibition with one stipulation-the pieces must fit the parameters of a petri dish. Two of my biotopes are taking part:

Amy Gross, Cultured Biotope, Parasol Mushrooms with Ears

Amy Gross, Cultured Biotope, Pomegranate and Crown of Thorns Blossoms

All the works in the show are here, on the Target Gallery blog,
and the show itself runs December 1st - 31st, (reception December 8th, from 6 to 8).

Target Gallery, in the Torpedo Factory Art Center



4 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Very Beautiful, Amy! Congratulations!
I particularly like the Mushrooms..... and the ears gave me pause.... I wasn't sure I was seeing right.... thought maybe there was more of a face in there somewhere.... as if the elves or dwarves went to sleep and the moss grew partly over them for the night.... or do they just pull up their mossy blankets and wriggle down into the ground to sleep.... with little parasol mushrooms to shade their exposed ears....
Or is it the Sentient Earth Mother eavesdropping on us passersby.....

Sans! said...

Oooh I will love to see all the artwork !Cos it's all about the small!

I do think you make the best mushrooms ;). That piece reminded me of the time they found a ball of cotton wool in my dad's ear. :) Your work made someone smile today, Amy :)

Ana Anselmo said...

wow!!! I love it, since I am a microbiologist, I cultivate microorganisms in Petri dishes..(speccialy molds that are very beautiful)...and a miniaturist I find this idea just brilliant!!!!
hugs

Amy said...

Ana, I would love to be a microbiologist! I steal from science all the time, like artists often do. You must see some incredible things, things that i could never even hope to mimic or equal...

Your miniature work is wonderful---