...or tries to...

Friday, January 13, 2012

Up and into the green...


Here, the most innocuous backyard trees are filled with enough life to fill up a small planet. I was up on a ladder photographing three of my objects in one of our two small trees, part of a project that mixes photographs and sculpture and glass domes and stereoscopes. (I promise, this will eventually make sense).  I couldn't believe what was going on up there - fat white spiders mummifying their dinner victims, haunted house tangles of cobwebs, parades of ants and beetles, abandoned nests filled up like salad bowls with bits of feathers, paper, air fern, string and leaf skeletons, startled yellow warblers completely affronted by the unnaturally tall human invading the last of their hiding places. Branches tore up what passes for my up-do hairstyle, I found bits of leaves buried in my hair later that night. This is a very young, very small, very domesticated tree (maybe a black walnut? I'm not sure), unassuming, not particularly arresting (or shade offering) from below. But that slight change in perspective and it proves itself to be complex, complicated, and deeply generous, a sticky, scratchy, mossy Swiss Family Robinson home for the tinier things. My artificial objects, all mimicry, all acrylic yarn and paper and wire, products of the indoor studio, looked happier out here, up there, than anywhere else I've ever placed them.







6 comments:

rosanna said...

They look has if they were born to stay there. More natural than you thought they might be and less enstranged from common life.
Amazing how a change of perspective mutes their nature.

Daydreamer said...

OH, AMY, Absolutely STUNNING! They LIVE out there... the white one SO like a fungus growing from the tree... and the "eyeballs" one.... so spookily ALIVE up there... WHAT planet do they come from???? And the Leafy Ears... I Swear.... trees DO have ears!
This setting in the Natural world only Emphasizes how unmistakably ALIVE your little creations are! Beautiful, Amy, and SO worth the climb into the upper spheres.... Discovering the other worlds that exist so intertwined with ours... and yet we never see them while we stay on our paths....so MUCH in this Life is ALL about Perspective anyway!
I LOVE your creations!
I LOVE your new perspective....

Sans! said...

It really augers well for your work when we all say, "how perfect they look there!" and if we say this despite the eyes on strings, shocking pink and stark naked white of your creations, then you deserve a standing ovation :).

Just the other day, as I was running at the Botanical Gardens, I saw for the 1st time, a spider having his dinner, comfortably gnawing in his fancy web. I stood there and stared for a while and imagined him staring back at me, like I was the TV and him enjoying his TV dinner.

I wonder what he will make of your oogly eyes and mushroom furnishings, Amy.

Delphine said...

Wonderfull. It is so magical.i'm in love with your fabulous world.

Kenise Barnes said...

These are perfect here! Beautiful!

Amy said...

Thank you Kenise! You know, it hadn't occurred to me until lately that they should pose out there, in the backyard wilds. I wish you could see them as stereoscopes-they look three dimensional but weirdly unreal at the same time...