...or tries to...

Monday, April 16, 2012

Young Palm in Bloom


Let me say first that this palm and I are not in love. I didn't think it was possible for there to be a dysfunctional relationship between a person and a tree. It is. We have it in for each other. Young palm is the ornamental kind plopped down on front lawns of Floridian planned communities, one that doesn't ask for much, or gets that much attention. And when it does, when raking or weeding or any kind of proximity is required, it gets its revenge, tearing at you with its tiny trunk spikes, pulling out your hair with its saw-toothed fronds, generally scratching and biting. It's like that kid in junior high who stood by herself in the school yard, the one you thought you might befriend because you too were a solitary kid in the school yard, both of you with strange hair, too-big glasses. Until you tried to get close and the kid went cuckoo's nest all over you. So we stood on either end of the yard, by ourselves, me and this kid. I mean, tree. Me and this tree keep our distance, mutually misunderstanding each other.

But every April, ornamental lawn palm has its own spring awakening. It doesn't care whether it's admired or appreciated. (Yes, I know, it's a tree. But work with me). It bursts open thousands of tiny cream colored palm flowers, snapping all over it like popcorn. It suddenly reminds me of all kinds of surprising and transcendent things, on my way to the car to do something routine and ordinary. It seems happy, or, at least, generous and forgiving. I take a chance and get close. And it lets me in.

















6 comments:

rosanna said...

I have never seen this kind of flower , the buds are beautiful even more than the actual flowers.
Enjoy your Spring, Rosanna

Amy said...

I like the buds better too-they look a little like baby chicks. I didn't know palm trees flowered at all, before I moved here, they were all coconut palms to me, like cartoon trees...

Sans! said...

The flowers remind me of jasmine, Amy. How do these smell? About 300m away from my house, up on a hill is a park and in that park, we have rows of jasmines shrubs. Sometimes, in the quiet of the night (last night it was about 11pm), the breeze carries the fragrance of the jasmine right into my bedroom. :). How can you not love everything at moments like these, right?

I know about the hostility of these palm trees but they are so beautiful you forgive them.

I have missed being here :)

Amy said...

Sans, I've missed you! I wish that they had a scent, that would be wonderful, especially since the palm is right outside my studio window. Can you imagine if it smelled like jasmine? It must be lovely to have the breeze bring the flowers to you. So few of our flowers seem to have a fragrance here, maybe it follows that natural rule that the brighter the color, the less it needs to work hard for the bees. I wouldn't mind a few more small white flowers. I'll come by to visit your world tomorrow!

Daydreamer said...

Amy, I am Certain that I left a comment here... ! It has been eaten by blogger...:(
I was struck by how much these flowers resemble your works.... all beady and stringy and Bursting forth in an explosion of energy... a Froth of shapes all similar yet not...!
I am glad the Tree let you in to get close... I Love to see what you see!

Amy said...

You're dead on, Betsy, Florida spun me around completely after I moved here-all the so-much and the too-much and the strange shapes and colors growing everywhere here. Strange place, scary sometimes, but always interesting and beautiful..