...or tries to...

Monday, May 14, 2012

Rockport



Rockport, Massachusetts was never a real place for me or my family, though we went there every year. My father drove up from New York for long weekends before he met my mother, they drove up there together from New Jersey the day after their wedding, I wore out my first shoes learning to walk on one of its beaches. By the time I was a teenager I had decided I would move there as soon as I could, that I would have an apartment in one of the old houses and my studio would have a wall of windows looking out to sea. But it wasn't a real place, complicated by every day life, knotted up with disappointment and peer pressure and cramming for the SATs - it was a place to be away from all of that. It was a measure, a way to gauge the changes between one summer to the next one. And it was heightened not just by its beauty and light but by the fact that it was not at all like the every day, it was a place that made my head spin with my need to be there, sitting on the rocks at the edge of the ocean, and not back in the near past or the anxious future.

But Rockport, Massachusetts is a real town, though devoted to tourism - you must have seen, at some point, a postcard or a dish towel with the red fishing shack printed on it - it's a real place for everyone who isn't a day tripper or a long weekender. I didn't go to live there and have a complicated routined life anywhere near it, it never became a normal place for me. And when I went back last week after the longest stretch of time between, the first time without my Dad there, setting up his easel on Bass Rocks, it remained a place that I compared my past to, measured my progress, acknowledged glaring changes, though even more so. Much more so.




















10 comments:

rosanna said...

You know Amy ? this is quintessential US for me. I have never come to your country but that's what I'd look for , much more than skyscrapers or huge bridges.
I'd like to go to Maine, Massachusetts , to the parks and of course Gran Canyon.
Who knows if I shall, at last, be able to cross the pond .... may be next year.... if everything goes as I wish it.
Thanks for sharing these lovely pics, Rosanna

Amy said...

I haven't been to Italy yet, and I dream of it too! I think you would love Maine and Mass., the light in the early morning is so beautiful, all white and lemon yellow and cobalt blue. And the Grand Canyon is even better than your imagination, it actually looks like something you dreamed. We're both daydreaming about eachother's countries - I love that.

Daydreamer said...

Hi Amy,
I just want to let you know that I just posted a link to your blog on MY blog... and used a picture I took at the Gallery.... I HOPE this is okay!!!! Let me know if it isn't and I will remove it! I really should have asked First! :(

Daydreamer said...

Oh, and HOW could I not Comment on your Gorgeous pictures of Rockport???
I have never been there.... having been to so many OTHER Ports in New England.... I just never went to Rockport! I particularly Love your window reflection pictures.... the one with the forsythia and the Tree.... Just Heaven sent!
And the Tiny mini-easel with the painting!!!
And I had to chuckle at the little "flat" of pansies Awaiting planting.... so often I have bought the pansies and then they Wait....and WAIT for me to plant them!
And I know what you mean about the places we go back to... That somehow Measure our Lives... Accidentally or Intentionally we keep coming round the Circle again... and when we do...we Notice our Place in the Cosmos....
The Cape is like that for me.
I'm glad you came back again!

Amy said...

I'm pretty sure those pansies have a long wait! Though the rest of the town seems completely devoted to their spring flower boxes, I think these little ones are going to live out their lives under the cherry tree...
I hope you can get to Rockport one day - there's a place called Halibut Point that's part of an old granite quarry, a wide deep stretch of rocky shore where you can sit all day and watch the fishing boats go out or watch the waves crash or stare into tide pools. I think my heaven would look like it, or at least, I want it to...

Sans! said...

It's just like the 4 of us, dreaming the same things from different places. Corners of the world meeting at that single point, the unreal reality in Rockport. More and more, I believe we 4 will meet, over that nice cups of coffee, truly grande ones, American style, with big huge cups. The two of you who have met and the 2 of us :), all of us knowing that we will all just get along famously :).

Let's just freaking do it, shall we? Make that pact . Next year , 2014, whenever :).

I love your pictures. They make me linger even though I am supposed to be caught up in the crazy and hectic dizziness I call my life :).

Amy said...

We should. 2014. I am making a pact with you. Why not? Four big cups of coffee, lots to talk about! OK!

Daydreamer said...

I will join you if I possibly can!!! And I KNOW I would LOVE Every single second of our time together!!!!

Amy said...

Yes. Absolutely.

jeckabee said...

So neat to see where I live through someone else's eyes. Thank you!