...or tries to...

Monday, December 31, 2012

Fairchild


I've never had two exhibits opening at the same time, so the last few months and weeks and days have been completely tunneled-visioned. So when the last boxes of artwork were sealed up and sent, following the challenge of fitting eight double-weight cardboard cartons into a Mini-Cooper, (duh, the answer is, you can't), after all the hours of complete self-absorption, there was a chance to go outside. To drive somewhere, to go someplace that coaxed me out of myself, into a world that actually looked more like make-believe than the world I had been making up.



Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is far enough away from here to be a place we don't go to very often, (an hour going, maybe, but counting in accidents on I-95, usually three and a half hours coming back). So when we do go, it has that mix of familiarity and surprise, like someplace you visited when you were very young and embroidered stories around. But when you go again, the stories are real, like a mix of Jurassic Park and Atget, Grimm's fairy tales and Alice.



Marble Bust  Bench by Sebastian Errazuriz
Calm Before Time, bench by Sebastian Errazuriz
Jorge Pardo lanterns

























John Chamberlain
Will Ryman














Happiest New Years Eve!



4 comments:

rosanna said...

oh my....Amy,this place is INCREDIBLE! the living plants are even more whimsical and fantastic than the sculptures ( the multi coloured trunk of that tree...to die for)
I understand why you go there so willingly despite of car accidents and loss of time.
Thank you fort this glimpse in a supernatural, fairytale world.
Best wishes and a hug
Rosanna

rosanna said...

My dear,I believe in serendipity :o)
Un abbraccio

Sans! said...

Serendipity indeed!!! Amy, while you have finished for the moment, with your tiny world, I am in the midst of building another one of mine. And of course, it has a lot to do with garden and flowers and plants. And I thought mine is a crazy little world until I came here and see this. A chandelier over a park bench, how wonderfully decadent! 10s of plastic lanterns on an old tree,whimsical! The giant bug, the even more giant flower, Mother Nature's art tree :), I love every bit of this big world that doesn't have to make sense and I can't wait to get back to my crazy little one. Oh my, absolute inspiration and what a way to herald the new year. Thank you for this wonderful visit, Amy! :)

Daydreamer said...

Hi Amy! I have been to the Fairchild only once.... I was there in 2006 and the Garden was Filled with Incredible glass pieces by Dale Chiluhly (not sure of the spelling!) But I was Transported with a sense of the Alice In Wonderland Nature of the place... It was So Bizarre and Fascinating and Startling and Exotic and perfectly Original! The Plants (that are so exotic to my Northern eyes) were matched and sometimes completely outdone by the Daring ....even Outrageous glass sculptures!!! It was Memorable... and like no other Garden I've ever seen!!!
I agree with Rosanna that that Stripey trunked Tree is Gorgeous... and I am waving to Sans too.... !!!
Thank you for bringing us all here today!!!
Happy New Year!!!
(And I wish I could go see your exhibits...!)