...or tries to...

Friday, January 11, 2013

Sanibel beach, from sunrise to sunset




Figure this. I live ten minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. And always have, growing up on Long Island. When I was a kid every summer was about saltwater and seaweed and sand in my sandwiches and in my bathing suit. My late teens were spent on the edges, working in a salt marsh and on a battered Boston Whaler in the middle of the blue Middle Bay, digging holes in marsh mud and counting eggs in tern nests and guessing how many dead red flies were in the fly traps. Every day my ankles had the same ring of salt. It was the dirtiest, sweatiest, most fly-bitten job I could have picked, and the best job I ever had. But now it takes a trip to another beach, three hours away, way across Alligator Alley, along the Gulf of Mexico, to get my feet onto sand. Last time I was here it was forty degrees, wind chill pure Lake Michigan, nothing Florida about it. But this time, barefoot weather, water too cold to swim in but no problem for wading, no problem getting the cuffs of our jeans wet, no issues other than chasing the flip flop that was suctioned off by the surf. I remembered things like horizons and distances and the way the air smells when it's alive and how the surf eventually times your breathing. Do we have to take ourselves out of ourselves for a few days to get reacquainted with what we loved? Unless we're the smart few who figured out how to not divide themselves up into too many different selves. I guess that's the trick.















































3 comments:

Alison said...

Beautiful photographs, I love the crabs you found. I didn't notice them st first glance.

Daydreamer said...

Wow! Oh WOW! How Perfect!!! Thank you for taking me to the beach today, Amy!!! It is raining and 35 degrees and snow-covered up here!!!
I LOVE the camouflage crab with the spotted shells! I LOVE the Sand castle! I LOVE the sunset! I LOVE the shells, shells, shells and more shells!!! And the lost feather.... and the worm-holed shells.... and the endless vista of sparkling water!!!
How did we Not figure it out? Or is it that we truly have two loves... and they require that we forget the other... again and again...! How else could we make the things we need to make???

Sans! said...

I enjoyed our day at the beach Amy :). Now, when was the last time I felt sand on my toes? You know what? I can't remember.

Today's walk felt like one I used to love doing on a Malaysian beach. We share the same weather, Amy, but our waters are never cold. Everyday is a day for a swim. We only worry about the tides.

Through your eyes, Sanibel feels like a paradise island you see in Star Trek where the inhabitants have forgotten about time and they live every moment just for the beauty of that moment. There's no future or past, just now and every moment is one to treasure.

How is it that you never fail to amaze me with your photos? :)