...or tries to...

Monday, March 25, 2013

Repetition and Ritual



Opening tomorrow!


I'm part of a new exhibit, Repetition and Ritual, New Sculpture in Fiber, curated by artist Sonya Yong James, in the Fowler Gallery at The Hudgens Center for the Arts, in Georgia. The show concentrates itself on dimensional fiber works that 

"center specifically on the creative act as personal obsession. James states, “Some of the artists deliberately seek out the meditative qualities of repetitive activity to express their ideas, while the repetition found in other artist’s work is an aesthetic result of their process. A prescribed order of assembling, manipulating and presenting materials borders on ceremony for these artists.”

Yes. Exactly.

Red Collection will be there:


and Contagious:





Click here for links to the work of the fascinating artists that I'll be privileged to be showing with.

And a lovely mention in ArtDaily.org!


March 26 - May 25, 2013

6400 Sugarloaf Pkwy Bldg 300
Duluth, Georgia
770-623-6002




6 comments:

Sans! said...

Congratz, Amy on being part of another great exhibition!

My housemate just returned from Florida (Fort Myers/ Cape Coral) and was raving about it. He said it reminded him of his hometown in Malaysia, Ipoh, except it is well classier :). He thinks it's a great place to live :). I kept mentioning how you have posted many pictures so I totally believe him :).

Amy said...

Thanks Sans!

I've been to Fort Myers a few times, it's very close to Sanibel Island, we even celebrated my Dad's birthday there, took a long, lovely boat ride down to Key West from there. It is very beautiful, with that blue-green water everywhere, dolphins in the Gulf, pelicans soaring overhead. I'm so happy Florida treated your housemate well, you all are welcome here any time!

Daydreamer said...

Amy, Congratulations on another show!! You are on a roll!
I must say I LOVE "Contagious"!!! I could spend Hours looking at your works!
I think some of my most Therapeutic art is the part where I do some small task repeatedly... but with variation... like when I paint my starry skies in the watercolors by filling in the sky around the stars... freehand... just painting the sky and leaving the space where the star is... it is slow and methodical and Dream inducing! But I Love doing it!

Amy Gross said...

Exactly, Betsy. I was reading about a potter who makes what looked like millions of small pots, and it was the mediative that kept him motivated, it was about the act as much as the object. I tend to be more obsessive than mediative, it feels more like compulsion sometimes. But the act is imitative of what grows in and out of our control, so it works for me. And it does become dream inducing just as you say, so there has to be something coming from deep within our cells and souls, yes!

JafaBrit's Art said...

Your work is exquisite and I yes I really like the description regarding the meditative quality.
I came by way of Kate's link on fb.

Amy Gross said...

Thank you so much! So glad you came by, I'm guessing you experience something similar when you're making your own art?