...or tries to...

Thursday, September 26, 2013

No Boundaries




It was a busy week.

Last Tuesday was the opening for No Boundaries, at the Art Gallery on the Eissey Campus of Palm Beach State College, curated by artist Karla Walter. South Florida has a community of artists whose work seems a microcosm of life in this part of the state: a divergence of influences, interests, styles and methods. Many of us come from other places, and have come to Florida for different reasons, and have figured out how to both meld and contradict our stories with the strange, maddening, and often beautiful environment we've found here. South Florida is frequently famous countrywide for incidents we would rather not be famous for, but being part of exhibits like No Boundaries always reassures me, because the artists there represent what makes it so interesting here, idiosyncratic, diverse.





Jackie Tufford, Dinner is Served, foreground, and my Red Collection, wall.




Gerbi Tsesarskaia, Porcelain Installation, details




Elayna Toby Singer, Going Within


Giannina Coppiano Dwin


from the video, Little Tail, by Eren Kocabasi


Sibel Kocabasi, detail from Arthur


David Willison, Air Raid Warning


a guest watching Cheryl Maeder's video, Le Mer



Sam Perry, Now and There, video

Thank you to Karla, for composing so beautifully.

Thanks also to Christine Davis, for her lovely article.

No Boundaries
Sept. 17 - Oct. 11, 2013
The Art Gallery at Eissey Campus
Palm Beach State College
3160 PGA Boulevard


Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410


5 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Hi Amy! I have come back to comment after all these days...I am not sure why I said nothing earlier...(Always have so much to say...) but there is something about your photos for this show that was...different... is it the lighting? They feel so harshly lit... all black and white and very contrast dominated... maybe that was part of the intention of the show??? I have a thing I have noticed in our country lately .... so much black and white... people dressing without color ... cars only black or silver... as though people are afraid to be colorful in their lives! Anyway,... sorry I didn't comment... sorry my comment has been so long and unsatisfactory... go ahead and delete this one!!! But I did want to say "Hi" and hope you are creating away and enjoying the Fall!

Amy Gross said...

No no, it's not them, it's me, and my love affair with Instagram filters! It's always well lit in the Palm Beach State College gallery, I just go for mood lighting! Please never apologize for any kind of writing, I've been so neglectful again because of time, trying to do so many things at once...plus, the blog has been hanging out unofficially over at my new website and I like this format so much better than the new one that I haven't blogged a bit since. I don't think I'll be able to blog twice, so off it will have to go, but I guess I'm holding on to Blogger just a little longer! I bet your weather is turning all autumnal and low lit, I hope it's not too cold yet, and you're creating beautifully, as always...

Daydreamer said...

Hi Amy,
I was thinking about you and wondering how you are, hoping all is well. I realize I have not connected to your new blog? New web site? Gosh, I better get up to speed! Blogland has been quiet lately... so many seem to either not be making minis anymore, or just not blogging anymore! Oh well, life does move on! I hope you and your family are well!

Amy Gross said...

Hi Betsy!

I am so happy to hear from you! I'm fine! I've been wanting to blog again but I've been so deadline challenged that there hasn't been time, at least not enough if I want to go outside once in a while! And sometimes, when I am outside, I find myself Instagramming instead of just looking and being there. Maybe so many of us have been over-documenting a little, that may explain the sudden quiet. I would bet that people are still mini-ing, how can we not?

I see a small light ahead after an Artist Talk and a workshop and the shipping deadline for a summer show.

I tried to like my new blog site but I hated the layout, so when I do come back to blogging it will be here. You haven't missed a thing. But I know I've been missing your world. How are you?

Daydreamer said...

Hi Amy!
I am well... Spring is finally arriving up here! You would not recognize any of my projects... I have been jumping around a bit... The Tree House is still not done... I have been taking a break and working the regular 1/12 scale minis! But I am definitely going to keep building it... I have to solve a few technical challenges... I think that is what sends me off into other projects! LOL! I am so glad to hear that you are busy... just hope it is not TOO busy! I really look forward to seeing more of your blogs.... :) And more about your current projects.... and Whatever! I am glad to know you are well! :)