...or tries to...

Monday, September 16, 2013

Turned Around




Sometime in the middle of April, I found I had to. It wasn't a dead end exactly, but a blogging breather. 

I had been trying to do so much all at the same time, and life doesn't work that well that way. Making art, thinking about making art, trying to share it, trying to share in other people's discoveries, in other people's interesting and intricate lives. And worrying about what to share, what not to share, how much that careful balance alters the way life really is. And then having an actual life at the same time one, that requires the third dimension, away from screens. You have to figure out what needs what and when. I should have written about this some time along the way, tell people I was going to spend some time away. But for some reason, every time I sat down in front of that nice white Blogger rectangle, I couldn't make my fingers start. My brain rolled around. Something told me, No. It was very strange.

But there was so much lovely sandwiched in between April and September. I had five shows to get ready for, each asking for it's own kind of work, and two more at the end of the year and the beginning of the next. And one more that came up quickly. And at the same time, I decided to renovate my studio. Lots of IKEA and allen wrenching and stuffed-to-bursting garbage bags and wondering what that thing in the back of the plastic tool drawer was supposed to be. But there were trips to see white peacocks, and a beautiful birthday, and a visit to the mountains. And a lot of work, the good kind, the kind that slows time down a little. 

More to come.





3 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Amy!
(I have missed you)
No Pressure or anything... just a Wondering what was up... and a Sureness that there was a need for a breather in there... So Hi!!!
I am so glad to hear about all the shows!!! And understand Completely the Over-stimulated world we get into... like tooo many friends in a circle all talking at once... all with GREAT ideas!!!
I look forward to seeing more... and I really do understand the need to not be visiting everybody all the time too!
Just really glad to see you again! :)

Amy Gross said...

I've missed you too! Thank you for understanding, it was the strangest thing, I usually don't run out of energy that way. But I'll be working my way back, and checking in with you and your ever-creative world again---

rosanna said...

Welcome back Amy !!!
So happy to see you again although I wasn't worried, I expected something like this.
Actually I am experiencing a similar feeling.
It is wonderful to read that your months were filled with lovely moments either of good work and leisure and that you feel fine.
Take your time and we won't be too intrusive.
Bentornata :o))
rosanna